Proper Pearl Care: How to keep your Pearls looking gorgeous
Quality Pearls are durable when treated with proper care. Proper care is necessary to keep your pearl jewellery beautiful and lustrous.
Here are essential tips for caring for your pearls:
- Wear them! Pearls were initially born in the water and benefit from absorbing oils that your skin naturally secretes throughout the day. So go ahead, put them on and show them you care.
- Gently wipe pearls with a soft cloth to remove sweat, perfume, excess oils, or dirt before putting them away.
- Pearls should be stored away from other objects or jewellery that may scratch their surfaces. Wrap the pearls in linen, soft cloth, or place them in a soft pouch.
- Do NOT store pearls in an airtight package such as a plastic bag: remember, pearls need moisture. If the environment is too dry, the pearls may crack. If placing the pearls in a safety deposit box or a hot climate, leave a damp cloth nearby and try to get them out of there as quickly as you can.
- Keep pearls away from chlorine bleach, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, ammonia, hairspray, perfume, and cosmetics, as these substances will damage the pearl surface.
- Make sure you put pearls on after finished spraying perfume or hairspray and putting on makeup. Be very careful with chemical substances as they will eat holes in the pearl nacre.
- Remove pearls before exercising to keep them away from perspiration.
- Do not submerge your pearls in water – no showers, no dishes, no swimming. The chlorine in the water will eat away at the epoxy securing the pearls to their mountings, and soaking the silk your pearls are strung causes it to stretch out and break early.
- Avoid hanging the pearl necklace on a hook for storage; this places unnecessary strain on the silk and stretches out the necklace.
- Restring pearls once every two to three years, or once a year if you wear them weekly. Be sure to have each pearl knotted separately, preferably with silk, so they do not rub together and wear on the pearl nacre. If pearls are tiny, knots between each pearl may be undesirable.
Shop Fresh Water Pearls